Llama Trekking at Moose River Farm

Llama Trekking at Moose River Farm
Activities at MRF; Fall 2021

Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Tail at Two Borders

        Good Morning,
         Ten years ago I purchased a 2 year old Thoroughbred gelding from a Canadian horse farm.  The six hour round trip turned into a ten hour nightmare when we arrived at the U.S. Customs office, (in a blinding snowstorm), with paperwork that permitted the gelding to leave Canada but not enter the U.S.  Forced back into Canada, we traveled west and finally gained entry at Gouverneur, NY.  With paperwork that granted Easau permission to remain in the U.S. temporarily, we finally made it home late in the evening.  In today's excerpt from Finding My Way to Moose River Farm, Easau must return to Canada where a final inspection dots the i's and crosses the t's that enable him to stay in the U.S. for good!
A Tail at Two Borders
        Despite my fatigue, I did not sleep well that night.  Easau was only allowed to be here for thirty days.  I had visions of the Federal authorities coming to confiscate him or of having to return him to Canada and go through the paperwork process all over again to have him imported.  I need not have worried because within twenty-four hours a new plan was in place.  After several phone calls on Monday, many of which were met with shoulder shrugs from government employees who did not know what the correct importation procedure was, I called the Federal veterinarian at the Alexandria Bay importation station. 
      He explained the importation process to me assuring me that after scheduling an appointment with him, Easau would become a permanent U.S. citizen.  The following Monday I was on my way back to Gouverneur with Easau to cross the border into Canada.  I then traveled west for about 50 miles to re-enter the U.S. and meet with the Federal veterinarian at the Alexandria Bay importation station.  All went according to plan although, I could not help feeling a bit of anxiety when it came time to approach the Customs buildings on either side of the border.  The original incident had caught me off guard and I was sure another glitch would surface despite assurances from an authority that this was all going to work out favorably. 
      The importation station was another world!  Many prefabricated buildings sat on the perimeter of a large parking lot that accommodated tractor trailers full of cattle and other livestock.  There were trucks full of inanimate objects as well.  All were waiting for various inspectors to provide them with the appropriate paperwork to admit them into the U.S.  Easau waited patiently as an entire tractor trailer load of cattle was escorted into a special barn where the vet examined each one individually and provided it with appropriate papers.  This time another friend accompanied me.  She and I chatted casually while we waited.
      When our turn finally came it consisted of three steps.  First, the vet and I filled out various forms in his office that he keyboarded into his computer.  Next, I wrote a check for twenty-seven dollars and fifty cents.  Finally, the vet accompanied me to the trailer where Easau, munching hay contentedly, stood quietly for the examination.  This exam consisted of the vet eyeing the horse briefly and then glancing at the Canadian paperwork.  That was it.  We were on our way.  The ride home was uneventful and once again, Easau arrived home after a long day spent standing on the trailer.  This time however, he was a U.S. citizen.  That night I slept well through vivid dreams of Easau and me beginning our training together.
Eastern Salute, (Easau), safe and legal in the U.S. after receiving his 'green card'.



  1. Aw, E. I can't believe he's 12 already. Amy

    1. I remember all that fuss and was so proud of little Easau for handing the trailering and waiting like a little pro. So glad he found such a great home with you Anne! Sandra

  2. Like the stories their fun to read